Monday, January 14, 2013

Plato's Republic

Elaine has been needing some large Acco fasteners for some of her Genealogy material and not able to find any in Seward. When I noticed a box on the top shelf of our basement storage shelf that read, "Tony's College Papers", I thought, "I'll take the old papers and notes to the recycle center and give Elaine the Acco fasteners". My mistake was looking at the papers. The first one was from a Philosophy course that I took at UN-L in the Spring Semester of 1960. Our Text for the course was "Plato's Republic". Half of the final grade was based on class discussion and the final exam the balance. My 7 page, hand printed, final was on "Education". Needless to say, I sat down and read every word. I related Plato's ideals on education to what I believed was appropriate. I was 34 years old at the time with a wife and 4 children and had some definite ideas. Reading it was most interesting. I related some of it to Plato's "Allegory of the Cave" which is still appropriate. Elaine's Acco fasteners may come out of my many Math folders. Disposing of them will be doable but  it's going to be much more difficult with many of the other old papers and class notes. Incidentally, I got an 8 on the course in a gradings  system of 1-9 with 9 high. 

No comments:

Post a Comment