Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Scanning Through Time

Son Jon has written the blog page this evening. It speaks for itself.

They say that time is relative. 
When you are young and waiting for Santa, the days and weeks and months drag on. The older you get, the faster time flies to where it seems like one birthday happens just about the time you got through the last one.
Time for me is relative, but relative, as in father and son.
My dad and I are having an enjoyable time, scanning slides that date back to the 1950s. His collection has thousands of slides, but with a new slide scanner, he and I have gotten into a pretty smooth rhythm of scanning, uploading, and viewing on the computer.
We have a long ways to go, but to date, I’ve seen scenes of family and friends in the snow and in the Rockies, old cars and military airplanes, siblings and cousins, parents and grandparents. My dad has done a better job of documenting my life than I have.
While it is a great thing to digitize all of these pictures for posterity, it’s an even greater excuse to sit next to my dad, scanning and viewing the photographs and talking about the people and places and events that they portray. No better way of sharing family history and its heritage than face to face.
If you have photographs or slides, take time to preserve them, but, more importantly, take time with your family to share them and learn from each other about what they show. You may be surprised about the interesting stories that you aren’t yet familiar about.

No comments:

Post a Comment