Sunday, June 24, 2018

USDA Clock

The USDA South Agriculture building was built in the early 1930's and completed in '36. At 458 by 944 feet, it was the largest building in the world until the Pentagon was built a few years later. I began working for the Soil Conservation Service in USDA in 1948. After field experience in Nebraska I was transferred to the Agency headquarters in Washington, D.C. in 1962. And, assigned to the Personnel Division on the 6th floor of the 2nd wing in an office room with desk for 6 of us. This was one of some 4,500 rooms in the building and nearly each room had an "electric clock" similar to the one shown here.
 I believe it was during the 1970's that this type of clock was replaced with newer models. The old ones were thrown in a dumpster near where our "car pool" vehicle was parked. Some how I came into possession of one of them and have kept it since retiring in 1980. I had it displayed with it set to 5 minutes before quiting time until we recently moved into a Retirement Facility. Our daughter had it converted to a battery operated system. Our oldest son, who is visiting here from Richmond, VA got it put up on the north wall of our computer/sewing room. The one I watched was on the north wall of that original office. While I did a lot of "clock watching" during that early year, I had a very successful career with the agency and retired at the Senior Executive Service level in 1980.


No comments:

Post a Comment