Sunday, June 17, 2018

Ancestry

If you saw my blog page written yesterday, you are aware of my obtaining Adella Pospisil Schulz's paper back book called: "Undocumented". This 216 page book is the story of her Grandfathers coming to the U.S. from Bohemia in 1885. The story so closely mirrors my Grandfathers coming to this country that I found it most interesting.  While it was spelled a bit differantly, both men were born in Caslav, Bohemia. My Grandfather came to this country in 1872 with his parents when he was 9 years old. Grandmother came over in 1873 at the age of 3. They were married in Saunders County in 1888 and lived on a farm near Linwood where my Dad was born in 1896. I have often regretted never talking with them about their trip over, etc.  Adella explains in the "Foreward" of her book that she has   "woven a fictional story around what may have been his early experiences...".  Her story came so close to answering many of the questions I never got asked, that I finished reading it today. It also helped me realize that my Grandparents were from solid families to support them compared to many of the immigrants.

No comments:

Post a Comment