Sunday, June 30, 2013

Siblings are Special

This picture was taken last week of Sister Janice, Brother Don & I during my birthday celebration. Our Sister Vivian and Brother Jerry have passed on but are still very much a part of our family stories and discussions. We all have our own families which have extended to 4 generations but there is something about siblings that is special. It is more than shared genes and may be related to the shared "trauma" of growing-up. While we may have very good friends that are associated with certain phases of our lives, our siblings are long time. Don and Janice never knew a time when I wasn't their big brother. Likewise, I remember every year of their life. Don and I shared more experiences than lone children can imagine. Janice is 11 years younger but I remember her "birthing cry" and was very much involved in helping take care of her for her first 12 years. (Until Elaine and I got married) Elaine has a similar relationship with her Brother Dale who is 3 years her senior. Like me and my siblings, there is a lot to  share whenever they are together. These relationships grow stronger and become more precious as time goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment