Tuesday, June 11, 2013

All Play and No Work

Elaine continues to  help me adjust to not playing golf this summer. Maybe I should say that she is adjusting to my being around a lot more with my City Council and related meetings no longer on my agenda either. We are shown here enjoying coffee out on the deck (and being amused at the camera taking the picture). While I still consider myself a NY Yankee baseball fan, we see nearly all of the KC Royals games and very few of the Yankees. Alex Gordon with the Royals is an attraction after growing up as a Lincoln Rebel and UN-L player. We only wish he could be more consistent. He began the season looking like he was a bargain at his 4.6 million dollar salary and has now been in a horrible batting slump.
After visiting the girls this afternoon we went past our Black Walnut Tree planting up in the NE part of town along the Walking Trail and Plum Creek. This tree is among the largest of the 22 that we planted a few years ago. The City does a good job of keeping the grass mowed in the area but they don't get the "loving care" they would receive in our back yard. One of the trees looks like it has done well in the past but the only sign of life are a few small leaves on the trunk. The rest show various amounts of growth. We also went up past the Methodist Church where we planted a Red Oak tree in front of the Church. It is doing very well. I took water to it for the first couple years and did some pruning on it last fall. After our enjoyable visit with the girls and trees, we went to the Dairy Queen for a little treat. Becky, the Librarian came in to get Blizzards for the Board that was meeting this evening and reminded me what I was missing out on. She also gave us a progress report on the construction project finishing the basement that includes a dehumidifier project for the whole building.  The facility is a real source of community pride. 

No comments:

Post a Comment