Sunday, May 26, 2013

Walker Grandparents

Among the graves that we "decorated" yesterday were my Maternal Grandparents, William H. and Anna Walker. Also resting in the plot are Aunt Dorothy and Uncle Bill. Grandma died in 1943 at the age of 63, Grandpa moved to Seward after her death, he remarried a lady who was his "housekeeper" and died in 1951 at the age of 74. Grandma was very kind to me as a kid when I stayed with them for a week or so during several summers, but I never really felt like I knew her very well. Grandpa and I had a much closer relationship. He was the one I spent time with herding cows, doing chores, making hay and even cutting wheat. I was 26 years old when Grandpa died and we had a close relationship even as I grew to adulthood, married and had our oldest son. In addition to "inheriting" some of his genes, he was a factor in helping make me what I am. It is truly a blessing when Grandparents and Grandchildren can have that relationship. 

No comments:

Post a Comment