Friday, May 31, 2013

Peonies and Memorial Day

Our Pink Peonies are beginning to bloom. The first one opened yesterday, on May 30 which was Memorial Day originally. It makes you think the Peonies know more about when the day of "remembering" should be than the politicians who changed it. While we took plastic flowers to the Cemetery last Saturday, I believe we will pick the Peonies that are in bloom tomorrow and take them  out to our Parents' graves. This ritual was so much a part of both Elaine's family and mine that to do anything less would bother our conscience. I have little doubt but what the tradition will not be continued much longer. However, we do it not so much for those that have gone on before as we do it for ourselves. I will even take along a Dandelion digger to get a couple of them that I saw near my Folks and Elaine's parents' Tombstones when we were out last week. Dad and Albert would expect me to do so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment