Friday, March 18, 2011

The little girl on the picture was my Mother. Her Grandmother, Matilda (Robinson) Turner is seated. This is the little house that Christopher and Matilda lived in after they were married. He came to Seward following the Civil War and a few years back in Illinois. Christopher fought with the 99th Illinois Volunteer Infantry, Company A. His name is included on a bronze plaque in the Illinois monument at the Vicksburg, MS National Battlefield. He came to this country from the "North of Ireland" in 1851. Matulda was born in Tyron, Ireland in 1857 and came to the United States with her parents in 1858. They were married here in Seward County in 1878 at the Middle Creek school house by J. W. Montgomery, Justice of the Peace. This is my claim to Irish ancestory. My Mother was at least half Irish (There is some question as to her Father's heritage which probably included some Irish along with his German and Scotch). My Dad being 100% Czech makes me an American but on St. Patrick's Day, I'm Irish and last night I enjoyed a wonderful dinner of Corned Beef and Cabbage.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment