Friday, February 18, 2011

Nebraska Baseball


Nebraska opens its baseball season today by playing Texas in a tournament at San Marcos. One reason for optimism this year is the presence of Darin Erstad as a volunteer batting coach. Erstad's 14 year major league career brings a wealth of experience plus his personal drive to the team. He was probably as well know as the Cornhusker punter as a baseball player during his career at the University. Some years ago I joined a conversation where baseball came up. I proudly told of having played town team ball with Garland in the Blue Valley League and Seward in the Cornhusker league. The 3rd fellow in the conversation said, “I've got a son-in-law who plays baseball”. I asked where he played and he told me the Los Angles Angels- Darin Erstead. I didn't talk any more about my having played the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment