Monday, December 30, 2013

The Early Years

In visiting with son Verlon over Christmas, he asked about some early happenings. While I researched the information he was seeking, I came across this collage which includes his early years. While we think that our Great Granddaughter is pretty special and receiving a lot of our attention, it is apparent that  he too was very special. While Sadie is our first Great Grandchild, Verlon was the first Grandchild for my folks and also for Elaine's parents. You can almost sense that in the pictures of them in the upper part of the collage. Those were great years. We lived in the Maltby apartment, I  worked sawing wood to make some extra money in addition to my SCS job, as well as helping put hay in the barn at Flowerday's and stacking it at my folks.We had major floods here in Seward in 1950 which led Hughes Bros. to begin a dike project. My brother Don built many miles of field terraces with a Whirlwind Terracer. Elaine enjoyed horseback riding and Verlon liked roasting ears. We moved into our own little house in '51 and were proud of the limestone retaining wall that we built and the poured concrete "stepping stones"  that led up to the porch and front door. 
I even found time to play baseball. Those were the Days. I could tell you a story about every picture in this Collage and we enjoy recalling them in our minds as we come across the pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment