Tuesday, April 23, 2013

My Friend, Ed Pollak

The Scott Duer Auction Service had the Ed & Chris Pollak estate sale at the Seward 4-H building last Sunday afternoon. As well as I knew Ed, I was surprised at the number of items on the Auction. I was particularly impressed by the some 45 Precision Toy Tractors and Farm Equipment. I have one Precision tractor among my collection of 25. Carolyn and I spent all afternoon there and bought more things than either of us needed. Much of what I bought was in memory of Ed. We go back a long way. In September of 1946 Ed, Bub, Don, brother Don and I went on a trip to the Ozarks and spent several days in Conway, AK where Bub's car was being repaired. In January 1948 the 5 of us went back to Quantico, VA and Washington, D.C. where Don got a car from his Marine brother. In September of '48, Ed, brother Don and I went to Chicago and saw the White Sox beat the Yankees and the Cardinals beat the Cubs. Young ladies took priority over travel at about this stage of our lives, but we remained good friends. As recently as June of 1911, Don, Ed and I spent a very enjoyable afternoon touring our “Old Home Places” in the Bohemian Alps north of Garland and ended up in Bee.

Ed was an excellent  Heavy Equipment Operator. He began as an "A" township road maintainer,  worked for the City of Seward, Rolfsmeier Construction, Bill Robinson Construction and the Nogus Sweenie Construction Company from which he retired in 1991. He was known as "Mr. Fix It" and was always willing to help people with cars or anything that needed to be fixed. 

EDWARD POLLAK
5/27/1926-8/29/2012

No comments:

Post a Comment