Monday, November 25, 2019

Jon and Anna

I have given son Jon and opportunity to write my blog page for tonight since they got here to visit us. Here is what he has written: “My First Monday that I haven't worked since 5th Grade

I believe that today was the first Monday that I have not been employed since I was about 12 years old. At that time, I worked a paper route, frequently assisted by my dad.

I used this first free day to start off a visit with my parents and then headed out to Phillips, Nebraska, with my younger daughter to visit the homestead of my great grandfather, Christopher Turner. The land was flat and the soil rich and produced good crops of corn to this day. I wonder how Turner traveled from Seward to Phillips to prove his deed. It took him about 7 years to get clear title to the land. That is a lot of times and miles traveled to meet the requirements of homesteading. Not many years later, he moved to Seward, married Matilda Robinson and settled down in a little house he built on 2nd Street. That house still stands to this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment