Saturday, August 3, 2019

Czech Music by Ear


The Recreation Room at Brookdale is located across the hall from the large TV room which also has this Piano. I have been hitting the NU-Step bikes pretty hard in the Rec room,  and on several occasions have heard this lady from the "Assisted Living" side at Brookdale play the Piano. She apparently plays it "by ear" and will go back to make a correction if she hits the wrong key. She goes directly from one Czech Polka to the next and seems to play whatever comes up in her mind. I have told her of my enjoyment of her playing and when back for my 2nd round this evening she was playing "Yanas konedlekey". This is an old Czech polka that goes back to the time our Twins, Jerry and Janice were born to my folks. I was 11 years old at the time and we hired Bessie Hain, a   neighbor girl to move in with us and help Mother and Vivian with all the extra work of having twins. Bessie was about 17 to 18 years old and considered it a challenge to teach Vivian, Don and I some Czech songs while taking care of us. One of these old songs was "Yanas konedlekey" and I went ahead and sang the next line which was, "Yat dem thine aloney" which surprised the lady.  She played for a few more minutes while I rode the Nu-Step and when she left, I told her how much I enjoyed her playing.

No comments:

Post a Comment