Monday, July 6, 2020

Vivian and old Cupola

This mornings "Lincoln Star" had a picture on it's front page of the second State Capitol Building of the State. This facility  was built in 1888 and demolished in 1932 as the current structure was completed.  The picture shows Vivian Schluckebier looking over the paper and the picture of the older Capitol building. Vivian's father was Harry Westerhoff who had land in the Garland (Germantown) area and acquired the top cupola off the old Capitol Building, revised it somewhat and placed it on top of a barn he was building. It was not their home place but west of Garland. As a youngster I remember of my Dad pointing it out to me as he drove the Model A from the old Vrana farm to Seward. Vivian is well aware of it being there but has no memory of the details. I know there are pictures within the County Historical Society, or elsewhere, of the cupola on the barn but I was unable to find one.

No comments:

Post a Comment