Friday, January 14, 2011

Acceptance of Reality

The Alumni Association of Concordia University here in Seward, has sponsored overseas travel opportunities for their members and friends of the University for a number of years. When I learned of their 8-day, “Birthplace of Golf Program” this summer to St. Andrews, in Scotland, I immediately became interested. With visions of old Golfers waving farewell as they crossed the little bridge at the 18th hole on the “Old Course”, I thought, “What a way to celebrate my  birthday in June”.  But it didn’t take long for reality to set-in. After first seeing the pamphlet price of $3,500. 00,  I found that the “Tour Price” didn’t include: “Airfare, meals-other than specified (breakfast); passport and visa fees; transportation to/from gateway city; airport taxes, telephone, laundry, optional sightseeing and tips to guides and drivers, or other item of a strictly, personal nature.” I hope the tour fills because it is an opportunity to see, “The Birthplace of Golf”.  In 1994, before I took up the game, my wife and I visited Edinburgh, Scotland and didn’t go on out to St. Andrews as did some of our traveling companions. Their enthusiasm may have been a factor in my signing up for Dr. Carl Everett’s “Beginning Golf” course at Concordia soon after we got home. But reality often includes compromise. Golf continues to be a major factor in my life and I have already talked to Dr. Robert Fiala about “photo shopping” a picture of me, standing on the Swilcan bridge at St. Andrews holding my WalMart “rescue club”.

No comments:

Post a Comment