Monday, November 18, 2013

Elaine and Dale

This picture of Elaine and Dale, each showing a bit of leg, was taken in August 1948. Elaine was "attired" in her Bridesmaid dress for her cousin Lois Brinkmeyer's wedding. Dale has a brace on his leg after the cast was removed following his breaking it in a Farmhouse softball game down at the U. Elaine and I had been "going together" for over a year at the time and this was about the most leg I had seen. I wouldn't say this picture had any great influence on our relationship but it certainly didn't hurt it. From having been involved with raising purebred polled Herford  cattle I had some understanding of genetics and had already decided that she would be a Great Mother after having watched her play softball. I also knew that she was very intelligent after having graduated 4th in her HS graduating class of 73 students. I had  a Civic Service appointment working for the Soil Conservation Service by this time, and she was working at the County Extension Office so we had an opportunity to see each other every day. As the Holiday Season approached, we decided to become engaged. I gave her a diamond ring just before Christmas and we were married the following June. It is said that, "A picture is worth a thousand words" and sometimes it's worth more than that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment