Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Busy Days in 1990

I came across this picture on a CD-R that my cousin, Phil Vrana sent to us back in 2004. At that time we were unable to play it on our old Gateway. Now I found this picture among others on a file that opens with my HP. Many of the pictures are of Phil's family but several of our Grandparents, Uncles, Aunts, and Cousins. Pictures like this of me and my brothers are particularly interesting since I had never seen it before. It appears to have been taken on June 10, 1990 when Phil's folks, Uncle Joe and Aunt Ruth
celebrated their 60th Wedding Anniversary at the Methodist Church in Bethany.
I like to check my diary when I get a picture and date like this. We were living in Ankeny, IA and working for the International Soil and Water Conservation Society (SWCS) at the time but back in Seward for the weekend. Carolyn had brought Mother, Julie and Heather over to visit the previous weekend and Tim, Laura and Tony had also come to visit us. Mother had a mini-stroke so after talking with Doctors, got her back to Seward. Elaine stayed in Seward while I went back to work for 3-days. I drove back to Seward and took Elaine along to the annual meeting of the Kansas Chapter of SWCS in Manhattan. I was on the program and went on the tour that included the ARS Wind Erosion Laboratory. We spent the weekend back in Seward and stopped in Lincoln for the Anniversary Celebration. We were back in Ankeny that evening and had word that Jon and Mary would be visiting us within a few days as they were moving from New York to Seward since Jon was transferred to the SCS Soils Laboratory in Lincoln. Those were busy days, I don't know how we did it but we were younger then.                            (Correction: Further research leads me to believe the picture was taken on August 5, 1990 when we celebrated Mother's 90th birthday at the Hughes Bros. cabin)

No comments:

Post a Comment